Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Masters have Spoken

I just can not get this thought out of my mind, try as I may. I believe I've lived in a delusion, studied a delusion and become so immersed in a delusion that my life (and millions others) has become an illusion.
Is it true that I am free, as an AFRICAN youth, to decide which way of life I want to live (influenced only by the tradition and culture I was born in)? I've, all along, thought this to be the case until recent events have culminated in one final conclusion...AS AN AFRICAN, I AM STILL A SLAVE TO THE DICTATES OF SOME WHITE FOREIGNERS.
Are you shocked? Trust me, I was likewise shocked when I arrived at this conclusion. I've always celebrated the independence anniversary of my motherland with such fervent zeal and pride. Unknown to me, all that I celebrated was the anniversary of CHANGES IN MODE OF FOREIGN RULE; what was done directly, is now done indirectly, using my own people as tools of oppression. I blame no one but my own people for allowing this sad state of affairs to go on till now.
I heard on BBC radio this morning that the UK government had decided to deal with REBELS ( The rebel transition movement) of Libya and thus sacked all diplomats who were stationed there during the time of Gadhafi. The same initiative has been carried out by the French and American governments. Till date, the has been no stance from AU countries and the UN. When did the word REBEL ever signify the locus of a justified moral mandate to rule?
One thing which a lot of people have failed to take notice of is the fact that the guns which US, France, Uk and other NATO forces have brought into Libya will stay long after Gadhafi is dead and gone. Now it has been made clear by these SAVIOURS of the world..."if you feel that you are oppressed, it is perfectly OK to pick a gun and fight to be heard; just make sure you gain the sympathetic ear of enemies of your oppressor". A typical case of "the enemy of my enemy is my Buddy". Why...is Libya now a UN,US, FRENCH or NATO protectorate and no more Sovereign? Where lies the say of the Libyan people? Is this democratic?
Why do I think my own people have contributed to this sad state of affairs? United States of America (which consists of 51 states/countries, if you will) have made it a point to stress their unity as opposed to their diversity and thus become self-sufficient. You might argue that they have become a federation so it is logical. What about the European Union (27 countries)? Each maintains its sovereignty but each must meet its assigned quota while contributing to one another's maintenance so as to bring balance to the union. The AU has 54 countries and surpasses any other Union in natural resources yet we can't even feed our people, take active part in geopolitics nor become self-sustaining as a unit. When something happens on this continent, the AU is the last to react after the individual and collective countries of both the East and especially the West have already analysed, seen what they stand to gain from the present chaos and long since acted to satisfy their parochial interests.
If we are indeed free to determine our destinies as African States, then we had better live within our means, manage our resources better, breed patriotic citizens, and ultimately harness national leaders who are not greedy or allow their selfishness to be used as a snare to entrap the people they are sworn to protect.
If indeed we are free, we should not draw up budgets which have to be supported by foreign donations (donations which are used as baits to trap us). Development is a process and cannot be done in a single day or in a single presidential term. Leaders need to do the best they can with the limited resources at their disposal and opposition leaders need to lend concrete alternatives to present issues, but not to make it a habit to continually take opposing views to what is apparently a good course of action without providing better alternatives. Heads of states should play by the rules of the game, rules they knew way before they decided to engage in the game of politics. If a leader's term is over, it is OVER. Let another also manage the problem of the state.
If indeed we are free, why do ambassadors from western countries seem to hold more power on our leaders than the people who put them in power? Can any country within Africa fly a fighter jet into an EU or allied country experiencing rebel/terrorist attacks just because it can?
We, as Africans, are still under the command of foreign masters who have used all manner of means to keep us under check and servitude.
The masters have spoken on the Libyan crisis and chosen a leader for them just like in the colonial days. We await to see if other african leaders will follow the dictates of their colonial masters.

3 comments:

DONSCOTUS said...

I hear the leader of the rebel forces has been assassinated...May his soul rest in peace.

Anonymous said...

"Really, it boils down to a question of self-belief and determination. A very familiar African leader said earlier this year, "I don't mind serving a one term presidency if I am convinced in my conscience and in the eyes of my maker that I did what I believed was best for my nation and not served a few individuals or external interests". If this president can live this statement and other leaders can live that statement, we would get where we hope to."...Quite insightful, Ken

Peter Yaro said...

Very, very well written!! My dear, this is the real world your are experiencing. Rebels gain legitimacy, and despots made by the very people who now name them devils with no mandate to rule except they will bring in once again to commence the cycle of making dictators out of 'freedom fighters' or it REBELS?